Donor Advised Fund
Harness the Giving Power of a Private Foundation
A donor advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, gives you the flexibility to recommend how much and how often money is granted to The Juilliard School and other charities.
You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted. In addition, you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
In return, you receive an immediate federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location.
An Example of How It Works
Ellen and Tom want to give back by directing their philanthropy to where it will do the most good. They decide to establish a $250,000 donor advised fund with a community foundation. They receive a federal income tax charitable deduction for the amount of their gift. They also get the time they need to decide exactly which charities to support. After researching their options with the foundation's staff, Ellen and Tom recommend grants for Juilliard (which they've supported for years) and the Animal Rescue League. The foundation presents the charities with checks from the Megan Fund, which Ellen and Tom named in honor of their granddaughter. They are delighted to start this personal legacy of giving.
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Contact Lori Padua at 212-799-5000, ext. 7152 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss using donor advised funds to support Juilliard and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include Juilliard in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: The Juilliard School
Address: New York, NY
Federal Tax ID Number: 13-1624067